Home Equity – After Separation

When Thinking About Equity

Home equity after separation or divorce is generally a postponed thought. It’s a gritty thought, so it is natural that couples postpone it for a time when they have cooled off their feelings. There’s a chance that one half of the couple knows exactly the value of the property, but still there are rights to think about and what the law says each half of the union is entitled to, once they officially uncouple.

Equity vs The Mortgage

A joint mortgage means that both parties are liable for mortgage payment, regardless of whether they are cohabiting in the same property or not. The couple may have an agreement in terms of percentage, although legally, they might be entitled to and liable for 50% of the property – equity and mortgage.

Property Lawyer And Separation

Contrary to common belief, a property lawyer can and should be involved in a couple’s dispute over equity. You need to explore your options with a property lawyer. Although, in the case of a divorce, you need a family law solicitor, a property lawyer can be involved to establish what rights you have in relation to property equity.

Case Scenarios After Separation

Each party can discuss with their respective lawyer, possible options they have available. Lawyers will reflect on different scenarios and propose the best course of action, and it may include a couple’s pre-agreement. For instance, if the couple initially agreed that one would pay 40% and the other 60% of the mortgage, then they can agree with both lawyers that they will pursue this course, when making decisions in relation to the equity.

Are you going through a separation or divorce and need some legal expert, friendly advice? Please give us a call. We offer an initial complimentary consultation without any obligations. SG

Make An Enquiry

Call us now on 020 7113 4003 or complete our Online Enquiry and we will be delighted to talk with you about your legal matter.

Free Enquiry

Back to all news

Share Article With:

Make An Enquiry

    Global Excellance Awards

    Client Reviews

    DG Law were fantastic throughout our purchase process. We had a short, fixed, timeline to

    Venetia Lawson-Cruttenden [solicitor] is fantastic!  She is always so thorough and efficient and gives you the

    DG Law supported us through a very difficult contractual negotiation to achieve exactly the outcome

    We were very pleased with the way that DG Law helped us on our transaction

    Thanks for all the help from DG Law in pulling together our somewhat complicated loan. 

    DG Law resolved a difficult lease renewal for us and their services were excellent –

    I needed understanding and experienced legal advice. DG Law provided an excellent service at a

    My experience was second to none – the service was professional and personal. DG Law

    DG Law always step up to the plate on our transactions and handle the various

    DG Law was recommended to me and my partner and I received excellent advice –

    Having worked with DG Law a number/couple of times now, I have been really impressed

    DG Law were constantly at hand, and kept pro-active throughout the thorny process of getting

    DG Law organised and ran a very useful session to help to make our team’s

    DG Law came recommended to me and whilst setting up a new business it was

    We were recommended three lawyers to handle the sale of our seven year old successful

    Why Choose Us?

    We live by our core values of transparency, flexibility and being honourable – every day

    We put ourselves in your shoes so we understand your problems from the inside out

    We deliver our advice in a way that is easy to understand