Noisy neighbours?

Simon lived quietly in the ground floor flat. Jenny lived above him. She was a long-distance air stewardess, who often came home in the middle of the night.

She was also a bit of a party animal, and Simon was often disturbed by the noise she made, drinking with her friends and playing loud music at odd hours.

Simon was fast asleep one night, when he was woken a blast of noise from upstairs. It was about 4 o’clock in the morning, and Jenny had started another party.

He had a big meeting the next day, and needed his rest. He sat bolt upright, wondering what he could do.

The options

Simon researched his options, and learned:

The first step is to talk to your neighbour, and try to resolve the problem informally.

If you’re worried about approaching them in person, write a letter that explains the problem clearly. Stick to the facts, and avoid using emotional language.

If they are a tenant, you can talk to their landlord, housing association or the council.

If the problem affects other neighbours, involve them too, or approach the tenants’ association.

If that doesn’t work, you can go to a mediation service. The mediator is an impartial third party who acts like a referee. (There may be a fee to pay.)

For problems designated as a ‘statutory nuisance’, you can complain to your local council. They have a duty to investigate issues such as:

  • Loud noise or barking dogs
  • Artificial light
  • Dust, steam, smell or insects from business premises
  • Smoke, fumes or gases
  • Build-up of rubbish that could harm health

If your neighbour is being violent or harassing you, you should contact the police.

If none of that works, you can take legal action through the courts.

What Simon did

He started keeping a diary of the dates and times when Jenny’s parties could be heard in his flat below.

He had an informal conversation with her, and showed her his list.

Jenny apologised, but didn’t seem to take his complaint very seriously and the noisy parties continued.

Finally, Simon approached the council to make a noise abatement order. If Jenny breaks the order, she will face legal action and may be fined up to £5,000.

Make An Enquiry

Call us now on 020 7113 4003 or complete our Online Enquiry and we will be delighted to talk with you about your legal matter.

Free Enquiry

Back to all news

Share Article With:

Make An Enquiry

    Global Excellance Awards

    Client Reviews

    DG Law were fantastic throughout our purchase process. We had a short, fixed, timeline to

    Venetia Lawson-Cruttenden [solicitor] is fantastic!  She is always so thorough and efficient and gives you the

    DG Law supported us through a very difficult contractual negotiation to achieve exactly the outcome

    We were very pleased with the way that DG Law helped us on our transaction

    Thanks for all the help from DG Law in pulling together our somewhat complicated loan. 

    DG Law resolved a difficult lease renewal for us and their services were excellent –

    I needed understanding and experienced legal advice. DG Law provided an excellent service at a

    My experience was second to none – the service was professional and personal. DG Law

    DG Law always step up to the plate on our transactions and handle the various

    DG Law was recommended to me and my partner and I received excellent advice –

    Having worked with DG Law a number/couple of times now, I have been really impressed

    DG Law were constantly at hand, and kept pro-active throughout the thorny process of getting

    DG Law organised and ran a very useful session to help to make our team’s

    DG Law came recommended to me and whilst setting up a new business it was

    We were recommended three lawyers to handle the sale of our seven year old successful

    Why Choose Us?

    We live by our core values of transparency, flexibility and being honourable – every day

    We put ourselves in your shoes so we understand your problems from the inside out

    We deliver our advice in a way that is easy to understand